Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cloth Diapering

Ok, this is a touchy subject with some people, but I plan on cloth diapering. And then I hear in the back of my head that phrase that starts with "best laid plans..." and I can't remember the rest because of stupid baby brain, but I know it basically says, "haha, way to plan but the universe wasn't on the same page that day and you lose that fight every time." Regardless, I can send people here to see my "plan" so I don't have to explain it, just in case you plan on listening with a dirty look. I have gotten some Kissaluvs size 0 for newborns. They are adjustable with snaps, including a part to fold down at the belly button. I have read raves about these for newborns because they are fitted and help protect against boobie milk blowouts. I'm a little concerned about some inward facing snaps though- however, other cloth diaperERs tell me there are none..so I may be flubbing something up!
They are not waterproof though and still need a cover. I got a couple of Thirsties Duo Wrap because of their reviews, however any diapers with multiple fits seem to get bad reviews for newborns. I think for just me and the day time, I will probably use just the old fashioned prefolds with a cover. I didn't bother with the smallest size because they apparently shrink up a lot. Also, at home, I am going to "try" using wool covers. They are crazy expensive so I am making a few different kinds. The idea is weird...it allows breathability apparently, but special treatment and you don't clean them every time. The pee is supposed to dry out and the wool disinfects itself?! But who am I to question our foreMOTHERS?

After newborn phase, I'm going to probably go to just the prefolds with the covers - the new twist on the old favorite. For grandparents, traveling, and sitters I got the BestBottom Diapers. Mostly good reviews, etc. And just so I keep my expectations low, I am always willing to go disposable if this proves not to work for the baby.

I'm also not using a diaper service...I am planning on either using Ecos from Costco (which I use on our regular laundry) or equal parts Washing Soda, Oxyclean, and Borax. Most people suggest a cold rinse, hot wash, then a double rinse. They also suggest using special rash cream (like California Baby - which they have on Amazon and at BabiesRus) that won't take away absorbancy OR just using a liner (which looks suspciously like a piece of toilet paper). I'm also going for cloth wipes since shit and piss will be in the washer anyways.

So thus far that's my plan. To some it sounds ultra granola...to others, not so much. Some people will make you feel like you're not "up to" this, if you're not also giving birth to a fruit named child in your living room and then breastfeeding said fruit child for 7 years. I'll take some granola, but not the whole shelf - thank you.

Also, contrary to the belief of some people (who are not Mr. P), this is NOT up for debate. I have read a convincingly large amount of literature supporting this as a good alternative for the planet, for children, for expenses...and some not so flattering literature. However, the road to my decision isn't any more anyone else's business than the decision I make. Your babies, your decisions. My baby, my decisions. Period.

1 comment: