Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Destroy Disney Princesses Before They Destroy Us

I will start this particular post with some cathartic confessing. I have seen every Disney Princess movie up to Mulan. At least 10 of those I've seen more times than I can remember and to at least 5 of those, I can sing the entire soundtrack. Disney Princesses weren't huge in my childhood - I was more the Strawberry Shortcake/Rainbow Bright/Care Bears era. There was Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, but they never got the marketing push until Arial, Belle, and Mulan joined the ranks (oh, yeah - I know their names). I also wanted Arial's hair, and when my shoulder length, green tinted locks flowed in the swimming pool - I imagined I did. I also happened to spend way too much time at way too young an age worrying what boys thought of me, and did more than one stupid stunt to try to be skinny. I never appreciated what I looked like - and looking back, I could have worked the looks angel hard for a few years there in my teens! Ok, confessions done. I don't want my daughter to have anything to do with Disney Princesses. You "been there, done that" moms are probably snickering at me (is it weird to read the word "snicker" while you snicker?!) - but I really don't. I understand she will have tons of influences that aren't her mother and even if I ban all the movies, there's a good chance she will come to me wanting desperatly to own the 42 piece Disney Princess doll set, complete with DVD at some point. But I want with everything in me to keep her away from that. I haven't found the right book (and yes I've looked) that teaches you how to combat all of society's harmful influences on young girls WHILE teaching her sometimes it's fun to have the freedom of acting "girly." It's hard to find back to back chapters, one addressing the need for young girls not to hand out sex to try to be what others like, the next talking about nothing being wrong with HAVING sexuality. And how to foster intelligence, humor and humanity while being fully aware of the power she has just by having boobs! So I chose to start by attacking the Disney Princesses...with this awesome animation: And you can all laugh in my face, when in a moment of weakness, you find me putting this under our non-denominational Christmas tree:

No comments:

Post a Comment